Arrenging your classroom



What things do you take in consideration when arrenging your classrrom?

I liked looking through many ideas in pictures. It gets my creative juices flowing, even though I’m pretty limited in what I can do with the desks in my room. I teach in a elementary school, and the desks are large and one piece. I also have 17 of them in a good size classroom. However, I have dreams of one day having a bigger classroom where I can put some puffs in a reading corner.
We have to be creative with what we have so here are some tips for creating a nice and welcomed classroom for your students.

Reflect on what you are trying to accomplish and make your space work for you rather than against you. Before you set out to arrange your classroom, consider asking yourself the following questions:

l What information do my students need to know? They need to know the date, assignment, classroom procedures, etc.

l What will inspire my students every day? Quotes, posters, classroom awards, everyday heroes, etc.

l What education artifacts do they need? Word walls, literacy resources, purposeful posters and bulletin boards, etc.

l How do I need to structure the desks? Teacher-focused activities means desks will be in rows or small clusters facing the front of the classroom, while student-focused activities means desks will be put into groups or semicircles so students can easily collaborate with one another.


l What furniture is available? Desks, tables, bookcases, shelves, etc.

The answers to these questions will help guide you to structure an effective learning environment for your students. Depending upon what furniture is readily available, you will also need to structure your classroom so that every student has a home base (or an individual learning area like their own desk), a whole group instruction area, a dedicated teacher area, as well as a transition area where students can wait for the next activity or lesson to begin, or at least have your space arranged so students can move about easily and comfortably without bumping into one another.
I used pictures of my classroom, it´s a place that I loved and students feel comfortable and ready to learn.

So, do you thought of these when arrenging your classroom?

Thanks for reading.

Comentarios

  1. Classroom Management is always a big issue since we need to start in how we are going to plan and finish if our management was good or what can we change. I think that one of the most challenging things in management is the organization, how the cairs are going to be organized, in which way the class is going to be more efficient. I always consider the activities I´m going to apply so the arrangement can help me to carry out the class. If I have a debate then it won´t be the same than explaining a topic. Sometimes I can have problems with it because when I apply more than 3 activities, I can lose some time in letting my students arrange their seats. Interesting questions Lupita, thanks for sharing!

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I work in a preschool and it’s a shame =( because we can’t decorate or change the way the classroom is arranged. I think it would be great to have my English classroom because we can create a better environment for an English learning. It is a good topic Lupita =)

    Thanks!!!

    ResponderBorrar
  3. What a father, is to be able to have your space for your classes, unfortunately in my case, in the preschool, I do not have my own English classroom and decorating or moving furniture is not allowed, so I feel limited in many aspects and I have to improvise resources to make children feel the change of class and really focus on an English environment.

    For me I think it is important to allocate the space to be able to involve the children in a different environment from their classes in Spanish, the fact of not having the space has limited me to thinking about ideas of decoration or arrangement of material and furniture.

    ResponderBorrar
  4. As I share the classroom with many teachers, arranging the classroom is difficult for me, so what I do is to think about my group and the activity I am going to do, as well as the material, timings, spaces, etc. needed for it. I can have some decoration in the classroom but not as much as I would like to nor and just for a reduced amount of time because each two months, I change classroom. And as Iven mentioned, moving your students from one activity to another takes time that we do not have, so you have to carefully think about the arrangement of the spaces to save time.

    ResponderBorrar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas más populares de este blog

The importance of visual aids in teaching English

Using games when teaching english

10 Things Teachers Must Have